Friday, September 11, 2009

"Craft Stores" used to make me wince

  When someone says "craft" what do you think of? white crew-neck sweatshirts with appliqué winter wonderland scenes, ornaments made of felt and a glue gun, googly eyes, colored cotton balls, doll clothes with horrid floral prints, quilts made from t-shirts, cross-stitch wall hangings...trinkets...things that make you tilt your head and say, "If I'm mad at you in December, this is what I am buying you for Christmas, Sister."



About six months ago I had a similar painful thought pattern upon hearing "craft stores," where the people are walking examples of their craftiness...and then one gross Wisconsin spring day I was complaining at the breakfast table to my roommate about the price of beads and she suggested...MICHAELS, whose tagline is THE ARTS AND CRAFTS STORE. She insisted she take me.



I had one of those epiphanies, like when you realize your parents are people too, not just your parents.


Anyway, it turned out to be a great resource and still is today, for Isabella.



In fact, the first draft of this post was:


Found much sought after Mustard Raffia yesterday at Michaels. Thank you Michaels, you complete me some days.

1 comment: